Friday 19 Feb - Sunday 21 Feb
One2one Youth Camp
Friday: We showed up at around 6:00pm to One2one Church of Christ to a large group of youth and leaders, most of whom we didn't know at all. Sarah and I packed our bags on the bus and began meeting people and being presented with a sea of names and faces we would hopefully remember by the end of the weekend. We proceeded to the destination on the "2 hour bus trip" (yeah right Nick) and were exited at what lay ahead. The camp site was beautiful and best of all, we got our own room with a personal en suite. Needless to say it still wasn't enough to block out the sound of a group of girls chatting and giggling to all hours of the night.
Saturday: I got up early in the morning to go practice the songs I would play and warm up my voice. After breakfast we did a morning session. I played a bunch of songs and taught everyone "Hope in You". I was surprised how well everyone picked it up and seemed to really enjoy it. After the music Nick did a talk and we broke off into groups. Sarah and I both joined various groups. A wonderful thing generally happens after I play, people tend to open up and become a lot easier to get to know and talk to. This was definitely no exception as we proceeded to get to know both youth and leaders really well from that point on. After lunch we did a variety of activities including flying fox, water slide, canoeing and swimming. We really appreciated a long activity time because it enabled us to engage in a number of really good conversations. That night, after dinner, we did a few more games including a really cool new one for us called Hiaki, which involves running, forgetting peoples names and hiding in trees and ditches. We were then treated to a fantastic band called No Greater Sky, all the way from Nashville Tennessee, USA. When we eventually got to bed we were exhausted.
Sunday: Had to get up early again to warm my very worn out vocal chords. After breakfast we did another morning session and I led the worship for the morning including what had now become an old favorite "Hope in You". After the morning festivities, which mostly involved watching a bunch of teenagers attempt to operate on no sleep, we had lunch, packed up and left for the long journey home. We arrived back for the One2one evening service, which we also really enjoyed. We went home and got some much needed rest.
We had an amazing time on this camp, made some wonderful new friends, both youth and leaders, and were touched by a number of people more than they may ever know. Can't wait for more experiences like this.

No comments:
Post a Comment