Tuesday, March 23, 2010

State Youth Games Launch

Saturday 20th March - Sunday 21st March

Saturday: In the morning I did a radio interview at Good News Radio. This would be my fourth now on the radio station. I have really enjoyed all of my experiences with this radio station. This was a particularly good interview. All of the questions were great and they played a number of my songs. I also got to promote the State Youth Games Launch a little.

That Night was the Ballarat State Youth Games Launch. The irony is that the other launches were at Frankston and Blackburn, the places where I grew up and lived as I did my study. However I ended up at the launch in a place I had never been before this year. The launch itself had three sessions including the main event in the middle and hang out time before and after. It was set up really well. During the hang out times there was a variety of things to do. These ranged from a jumping castle, Nintendo Wii, dance party and live music. I was the live music. It was really great to be a part of the event. There were tables set up in a café-like style and people wondered in and out. There were generally a few people sitting and listening at any one time. It was a really cool, chill out type of atmosphere. Still feeling a bit sick my voice struggled a bit but I made it in the end. The main event itself was great. The SYG band did a great job, one of the youth got displayed on stage getting the "State Youth Games" treatment and the main speaker was a guy name Phil Cann from Vancouver. All in all it was a great night and as a representation of SYG itself, has shown that the camp is going to be fantastic.
Sunday: In the morning we went to York St Church of Christ. We really enjoyed the service, as always, and we got to hear Phill Cann speak again. It was good to hear the difference between his sermons to youth and adults. I went up and met Phil after the service. He is a really great guy but definitely a little bit crazy.

Sunday night I had been invited to play a song and introduce communion at One2one Church of Christ. It was really nice showing up to the church and knowing a number of people. Some of the youth were especially excited to see us and greeted us with big hugs, exited shouts of joy and exaggerated waving of arms. I have to say we really love these guys and it is so cool to be their role models. Thanks Laura and Michele for the encouragement notes, you guys are great, along with all of the one2one youth. I jumped up on stage and joined in with the band for the duration of the service. It was heaps of fun. For communion I played "Hope in You" and gave a small message throughout the bridge of the song. The remainder of the service was really good and in particular I found the sermon really profound. It was about Judas and what brought him to the point of betrayal. After the service we hung out with a bunch of the youth. We will definitely miss these guys.

Tomorrow we take the long drive back home, aware that this will probably be the last time we come back to Ballarat for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment